West of Scunthorpe to Barnetby
The line between Scunthorpe and Barnetby was opened in 1866 as a part of a line from Keadby to Barnetby. It was the last part of a piecemeal line started in 1848 from Doncaster and extended in fits and starts. Its opening coincided with the start and rapid expansion of the Scunthorpe steel industry, and necessitated the building of the massive 1 in 92 viaduct to the west of Scunthorpe, as well as the bridge at Keadby (the current one dating from 1912). The original station was placed close to where the NLLR Station was built later, but in 1928 a new station was built close to Oswald Road to the west of the one shown. Scunthorpe's iron and steelworks relied heavily on its railways for bringing in raw materials, taking the finished products all over the country and to ports for export, and for transferring products, or waste material between areas within the town. A large loco depot was built here too.
The line runs through the iron and steelworks, passes the brickworks, and through the woods to the east of the town, and then down a 1:100 to Appleby and the Ancholme valley. The level crossings at Appleby see the line cross the 2000-year-old Roman road "Ermine Street" with Appleby out of sight to the north. Elsham is the only other station before we reach Wrawby Junction, and once more, sited at a good distance from Elsham village. Before reaching Barnetby we go under the extremely high bridge carrying the old A18 main road between Scunthorpe, Brigg and Grimsby.
This Train Simulator route starts to the west of Crowle Station. From here to Keadby the line crosses the Isle of Axholme, a large area of flat fenland, drained by the Dutch about 400 years ago. The line follows the canal and a couple of drainage rivers at each side of the line. As Keadby is approached, the large coal-fired power station comes into view on the north, whilst to the south we have the Keadby Yard and turntable. The single line off to the right, south of the signal box shows the old line to the first Keadby Bridge, which you will see picked up on the other side of the river with the remains of Gunness and Burringham Station. There are a number of railway-served wharves here. We now come towards the range of hills called the Lincolnshire Heights, which have no gaps that would be convenient for railway building until the range reaches Lincoln. The only way of overcoming this was a long 1:92 multi-arched viaduct, and with frequent heavy trains using it, it was necessary to have banking engines at Keadby to help trains up the incline. As the years have gone by, much of the viaduct has been banked in, so we see embankments rather than the viaduct itself.